COLONIE – Four fast-meals chains Friday have been closed quickly until they fixed grease dripping out of their exhaust systems, an extended-standing fire code violation, the county health department said.
A Jersey Mike’s and Moe’s in the Shoppes at Latham Circle and two more Moe’s locations — on Wolf Road and in Colonie Center — had been close down overdue Friday by the city fire inspector. After passing Albany County Health Department inspections, 3 eating places re-opened Saturday and one Sunday, Town Supervisor Paula Mahan stated.
Mahan stated the issues have been with the eating places’ oven hoods and suppression systems, which can be tied together to lessen fires. The hood device provides exhaust for grease vapor that, if it is going out of the kitchen place, can be a hearth danger if it meets flammable substances.
The suppression machine serves as another back-up: If ovens attain a positive temperature, fire extinguishers spark off and the hood region suppresses the heat, Mahan stated.
“This has been an difficulty they have got been operating on. For the safety aspect, which is our principal precedence, the consensus that all of us agreed become that we needed to close to get them into compliance,” Mahan said. “Our precedence is to maintain all and sundry safe and our human beings worked with them and understood what they needed to do.”
Jersey Mike’s and Moe’s did not respond to a request for comment approximately why the issue hadn’t been fixed earlier.